Skip to main content

A Butterfly Life for You

Almost every day I look back at my “on this day” page in Facebook. It’s fun to see what we were going through or how my life has developed since I got a Facebook account when it FIRST started in college. While some memories are fun to reminisce on (like when I bought my first car), most of the things I posted as my younger self are a bit painful to read. My old self was full of anxiety and negativity; I don’t know how anyone stood to be around me. Around 2011-2012, I started asking God to transform my attitude and I can clearly see the change begin in my Facebook posts. I love to look at my posts from 2007-2011 and compare them to the posts I’ve made from 2011-the present.

Pastor Doug White came to speak this Sunday at our church and said he had one word for us: Metamorphosis. He spoke on the transformation that comes from the power of God working in our hearts. When we ask and open our hearts, he changes us from what we are to what we are meant to become. 
*TRANSFORMATION COMES FROM SUBMISSION*
The coolest thing is that we don’t have to DO anything or ask what the next step is; all we have to do is ask for transformation and he does the rest for us. If you think about the classic example of metamorphosis, you can clearly see what Pastor Doug means: the caterpillar to the butterfly. I’m not sure a caterpillar has much of a thinking process but God designed it to creepy crawl everywhere until a certain point and then he instinctively wraps himself in a cocoon and sleeps while he transforms into something so beautiful and free and graceful that when he lands on anything he doesn’t cause disturbance or pain. If God’s careful guidance and provision is present in a caterpillar, then how much more careful guidance and provision does he have for you, his child? Infinitely more, that’s how much.
Matthew 6:26-27 - Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
Your present-self can easily tell your past-self to chill out and know that God took care of everything. So I want your present-self to tell your future-self the same thing! Seek God and let him guide you and change you KNOWING that your future holds hope, blessings, and good change.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11)
Go and live life responsibly and joyfully, knowing God has your future in his hands. His hands are gentle, guiding, and loving so cast your worry aside and enjoy each day with the confidence that your Father will do all the heavy lifting. Ask him to change you, change your perspective, and shift your attitude. Watch and see your life change as God works in your heart and mind. Let him do the work; sit back and enjoy the ride. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be an Idiot for God

You know that kind of dirt that is just old and crusty and doesn't yield much growth? It takes patience, rain, plowing, love and care to change the chemistry of that soil. After it has been healed, the soil is moist, dark brown and smells like earth. But it didn't get to that point without a little work. Think of yourself as the old dirt. God wants to plow up the old crusty part of your life that isn't fruitful anymore and replace it with new, moist, healthy soil to plant good seed. God wants to take you higher than you've ever been before but you have to want it. The process may be painful but the fruit will be delicious. I want to encourage you to come into the newness of the spirit but you'll need the strength of God to get your through, not your own strength. Last week, my husband and I had to take his truck in because it was like riding Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. For whatever reason, the tires we received a couple months ago shredded and needed to be replaced...

Reforming Undesirable Behavior

You know that thing you do that you don't wanna do but you keep doing it because you can't stop doing it? These behaviors might include: lying, cheating, raging, gossiping, pornography, drinking, drugs, eating, throwing up, etc. Reforming these behaviors on your own can prove to be a little tricky. I'd say reforming undesirable behavior might even be impossible on your own. But there is still hope for us. With the love of God, the power of the Holy Spirit and a renewed mind, you can reform your behavior. Youth conference with lots of God encounters! An encounter with God is the easiest way to reform undesirable behavior because the encounter will fill you with the fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord renews our minds in a way that informs our bodies of what's beneficial to our spiritual health in the eyes of God. So, your mouth doesn't want to lie anymore; your tongue won't allow you to eat certain things; your eyes will be opened to the evil of pornogra...

A Mobile Church

I love the picture to the right, taken by a friend in the church. It's the perfect picture of God's light shining down on his church. The symbolism of it is perfect: the church is soaking up God's light and charging its people inside to do God's work. I don't know about you but I always feel refreshed and recharged after connecting with a body of believers. Our light gets "re-brightened" and we are energized to keep going. God wants us to take His light out to the people - His church (the light bearers) is not to be confined by four walls and our own preconceived notions. I think a lot of Christians are afraid to be " the light of the world " for fear of being judged or cast out socially. God wants us to hand over our fear of looking stupid and get desperate for him to change our lives. To rid ourselves of this fear, we have to open our hearts to what God desires and ask him to fill us with his light and wisdom in its place. When you open your...