Skip to main content

Have Faith

Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see. (Hebrews 11:1 NLT)

For we live by believing and not by seeing. (2 Corinthians 5:7 NLT)

For some people, faith comes easily. Faith is a precious gift that some people are blessed with. Other people learn to have faith. I wish I could say I was the first person, but I'm not. By the way I live you might think that'd be the case but instead, my case is one of obedience. I have to pray for faith constantly and be reminded of the promises God has given us.

In a world where we are able to see and get immediate results and see the products of our labor after hard work, it can sometimes be hard to believe in something we cannot see. Not that I feel believing in God is hard but sometimes believing his promises will happen is hard. For example, I get easily discouraged about our ministry not looking the way I thought it would (ridiculous, I know) and I start believing all these lies which lead me to think we will never succeed and I go down this endless spiral of despair before I finally realize that dad-gum it, I've believed satan's lies again and haven't had faith in God and what He's promised. It's funny because I can spend anywhere from a couple hours to a couple weeks in this despair spiral but one prayer re announcing my faith in Him will rejuvenate me in seconds. A very wise man (Pastor Doug White) once said, "five minutes with God can fix a lifetime of despair." I can't even explain how much truth to this statement there is.

My dad reminded me recently of something I said to him when I was a little girl. I said, "daddy, I don't know why you worry all the time. God always fixes everything in the end anyway." This made me chuckle a little because a) it sounds just like me and b) I need to listen to my own advice.

If we can just keep God in our focus and our faith in Him strong, life is much easier. No we cannot see it or Him and sometimes we cannot see the fruit right away but we do have His word as evidence that God loves us and will not forsake us.

Look back over the times in your life when you KNEW God's hand was on you. Times when you knew He was protecting you. Ask Him how He felt about you at those times and hold His words close to your heart. Write them down in a journal and look back at them when you get discouraged.

Have faith in him and continue to hope for what He has in your future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be an Idiot for God

You know that kind of dirt that is just old and crusty and doesn't yield much growth? It takes patience, rain, plowing, love and care to change the chemistry of that soil. After it has been healed, the soil is moist, dark brown and smells like earth. But it didn't get to that point without a little work. Think of yourself as the old dirt. God wants to plow up the old crusty part of your life that isn't fruitful anymore and replace it with new, moist, healthy soil to plant good seed. God wants to take you higher than you've ever been before but you have to want it. The process may be painful but the fruit will be delicious. I want to encourage you to come into the newness of the spirit but you'll need the strength of God to get your through, not your own strength. Last week, my husband and I had to take his truck in because it was like riding Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. For whatever reason, the tires we received a couple months ago shredded and needed to be replaced...

Reforming Undesirable Behavior

You know that thing you do that you don't wanna do but you keep doing it because you can't stop doing it? These behaviors might include: lying, cheating, raging, gossiping, pornography, drinking, drugs, eating, throwing up, etc. Reforming these behaviors on your own can prove to be a little tricky. I'd say reforming undesirable behavior might even be impossible on your own. But there is still hope for us. With the love of God, the power of the Holy Spirit and a renewed mind, you can reform your behavior. Youth conference with lots of God encounters! An encounter with God is the easiest way to reform undesirable behavior because the encounter will fill you with the fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord renews our minds in a way that informs our bodies of what's beneficial to our spiritual health in the eyes of God. So, your mouth doesn't want to lie anymore; your tongue won't allow you to eat certain things; your eyes will be opened to the evil of pornogra...

A Mobile Church

I love the picture to the right, taken by a friend in the church. It's the perfect picture of God's light shining down on his church. The symbolism of it is perfect: the church is soaking up God's light and charging its people inside to do God's work. I don't know about you but I always feel refreshed and recharged after connecting with a body of believers. Our light gets "re-brightened" and we are energized to keep going. God wants us to take His light out to the people - His church (the light bearers) is not to be confined by four walls and our own preconceived notions. I think a lot of Christians are afraid to be " the light of the world " for fear of being judged or cast out socially. God wants us to hand over our fear of looking stupid and get desperate for him to change our lives. To rid ourselves of this fear, we have to open our hearts to what God desires and ask him to fill us with his light and wisdom in its place. When you open your...