Skip to main content

Wrecked

I died when I was 13. I was in an ATV accident that landed me with a fractured skull and bleeding brain that resulted in the miracle of a lifetime. When I woke up, I knew I had been given the gift of a second chance at life.

It was the summer of 2000 that we celebrated our freedom from the school year by riding four-wheelers on my friend's dairy. We were excited about being freshman and feeling pretty mature by practicing our driving skills on the ATV in the field. I was slightly less mature in my driving than my friend and lost control of the machine. Before we knew it, I slammed my unprotected head into a pole and my friend broke her femur from the impact of sitting behind me. She waited on the ground and prayed for help (no cell phones) while I rocked back and forth, unconscious on the ground. We were found, my parents were called, the ambulance came and we were off to the hospital.

My whole family met us there to find me bleeding and unrecognizable. The doctors lost me twice, revived me and sent me via care flight to a bigger hospital. With a crushed orbital bone, fractured skull and brain bleeds, the doctors knew I would need ICU if I were lucky enough to live. 
This scar is a tiny
reminder of what
God did for me.

Upon landing and arrival, I was placed in Neuro ICU, my head was partially shaved, a hole was drilled in my skull, and they attached an ICP monitor to my brain to watch for brain activity and to watch the swelling. Tubes were attached everywhere possible and CT’s were done. The doctors were not optimistic about my future.

My parents knew their only option to keep me alive was to pray. They began the prayer chain in the church and asked for targeted prayers over my brain and skull. Their first answered prayer was for the swelling to go down in my brain to avoid surgery. When God did this, their faith was renewed and they began asking for more prayer. My dad's friend in England was notified of the accident and in his prayer time about me he heard a word from God. He knew that God wanted to heal me, so he asked my dad to repeat a specific prayer over my brain. I woke up from my medically induced coma immediately. My dad was astonished! He was desperate for healing but never imagined it actually happening. 


After getting the nurses attention, they checked on the machines and calmed me back to sleep. The medication was reduced and they let me wake up naturally so they could check on my progress and run more tests. To their knowledge, there was no reason for me to be waking up. It was unheard of and technically impossible. 

I was quickly moved to a regular room where I was allowed to move around and visit with other people. After more scans were done, the doctors concluded that while there were signs of head trauma, the miracle healing was unmistakable. Even though I was living with recent head trauma, the doctors had no reason to keep me any longer in the hospital and sent me home with a prescription for rehabilitation 3 days a week for the next couple months. After the completion of my rehab, I was released to attend school with light physical activity. The healing road ahead was challenging but the result was worth it. 

In the healing process, God dealt with many emotional issues associated with the accident and renewed my mind into something it greater. God used the wreck to transform my mind, strengthen my heart and give me hope for His plan. Because of my experience, I know God uses traumatic instances to make us stronger and better. God is so good and continues to amaze me every day! I am blessed to be here and thankful for His love.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be an Idiot for God

You know that kind of dirt that is just old and crusty and doesn't yield much growth? It takes patience, rain, plowing, love and care to change the chemistry of that soil. After it has been healed, the soil is moist, dark brown and smells like earth. But it didn't get to that point without a little work. Think of yourself as the old dirt. God wants to plow up the old crusty part of your life that isn't fruitful anymore and replace it with new, moist, healthy soil to plant good seed. God wants to take you higher than you've ever been before but you have to want it. The process may be painful but the fruit will be delicious. I want to encourage you to come into the newness of the spirit but you'll need the strength of God to get your through, not your own strength. Last week, my husband and I had to take his truck in because it was like riding Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. For whatever reason, the tires we received a couple months ago shredded and needed to be replaced...

Reforming Undesirable Behavior

You know that thing you do that you don't wanna do but you keep doing it because you can't stop doing it? These behaviors might include: lying, cheating, raging, gossiping, pornography, drinking, drugs, eating, throwing up, etc. Reforming these behaviors on your own can prove to be a little tricky. I'd say reforming undesirable behavior might even be impossible on your own. But there is still hope for us. With the love of God, the power of the Holy Spirit and a renewed mind, you can reform your behavior. Youth conference with lots of God encounters! An encounter with God is the easiest way to reform undesirable behavior because the encounter will fill you with the fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord renews our minds in a way that informs our bodies of what's beneficial to our spiritual health in the eyes of God. So, your mouth doesn't want to lie anymore; your tongue won't allow you to eat certain things; your eyes will be opened to the evil of pornogra...

A Mobile Church

I love the picture to the right, taken by a friend in the church. It's the perfect picture of God's light shining down on his church. The symbolism of it is perfect: the church is soaking up God's light and charging its people inside to do God's work. I don't know about you but I always feel refreshed and recharged after connecting with a body of believers. Our light gets "re-brightened" and we are energized to keep going. God wants us to take His light out to the people - His church (the light bearers) is not to be confined by four walls and our own preconceived notions. I think a lot of Christians are afraid to be " the light of the world " for fear of being judged or cast out socially. God wants us to hand over our fear of looking stupid and get desperate for him to change our lives. To rid ourselves of this fear, we have to open our hearts to what God desires and ask him to fill us with his light and wisdom in its place. When you open your...