Skip to main content

To Forgive is Devine

In the movie, Just Friends, one of the characters writes a song about forgiveness and its kind of silly but there’s a little truth to it. Jarrod and I always sing it when forgiveness is needed and it makes us laugh every time. I even have my 5 year old nephew singing it, which is hilarious. It goes something like this, “Forgiveness. It’s more than saying sorry. I’m sorry. To forgive is Devine so lets have a glass of wine....” And it goes into somewhat inappropriate material for a Christian blog.

Often times when we say, “I forgive you”, we don’t really mean it. Its hard to forgive someone when our feelings are still hurt. Even if you don’t really mean it, the first step to forgiveness is saying it. Whether its to that person directly or to yourself, saying it out loud is the hardest.

When I'm with my mom and I need to forgive, she prompts me by saying, “Father I forgive...” and she makes me finish it. I hate it when she makes me do this and I’m usually not ready to finish the statement but I know I have to in order to be spiritually healthy (so therefore grateful for her making me do this - Thanks Mom!). Sometimes when I’m not ready she will give me a little time but I know that I can’t stay mad forever and I have to give my hurt over to God. For me, its never really been a matter of telling that person I forgive them - most of the time, that person doesn’t even know she/he hurt me - its more of a matter of the heart and something I ask my Father to help me deal with.

Living with unforgiveness in your heart is debilitating. It eats you alive and eventually you loathe anyone remotely like the person you can’t forgive. You may think you are hurting that person by not forgiving them (which you might be), but in reality, you’re hurting yourself more. Let go of your hatred for him/her and LOVE! Don’t let someone take over your life - give it to God and ask to see this person the way he does.

Maybe its not someone else you are having trouble forgiving...maybe you have trouble forgiving yourself. You did something that you think is detestable - something you think God would never forgive you for. That line of thought is a lie from the devil and God has ALREADY forgiven you for what you did - its time to forgive yourself. God loves you dearly and longs for you to feel that love. You’re his child and he wants you to know how wonderful you are. Yeah, maybe you messed up - don’t beat yourself up about it for the rest of your life. Ask God to help you feel his love and forgiveness, and live your life the way he wants you to!

A couple weeks ago, someone I really love lied to me (no, not my husband). It really hurt me that this person couldn’t be honest with me and it hurt that I was excluded from his/her life. I got really mad, threw a fit, and caused a scene in front of my family (embarrassing). After my temper tantrum and some quiet time with God, He revealed to me that it wasn’t the hidden information that hurt me, it was the fact that I felt excluded and unloved - whether perceived or real, those were my feelings. Because of God revealing the nature of my feelings, I was able to forgive this person immediately; the fruit of my forgiveness came in the form of peace and the feeling that my wounds had been healed.

That’s how our Father works - He can fix things in a flash and everyone goes away happy. All we have to do is ask for His help and guidance in WHO He wants us to forgive and WHAT He wants us to forgive them for.

I’ll step into my mom’s shoes for a second and prompt you...
Father I forgive [insert name here]. I ask that you reveal to my mind what I need to forgive [name] for. (**the reason you need to forgive may not be what you expect**)
In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be an Idiot for God

You know that kind of dirt that is just old and crusty and doesn't yield much growth? It takes patience, rain, plowing, love and care to change the chemistry of that soil. After it has been healed, the soil is moist, dark brown and smells like earth. But it didn't get to that point without a little work. Think of yourself as the old dirt. God wants to plow up the old crusty part of your life that isn't fruitful anymore and replace it with new, moist, healthy soil to plant good seed. God wants to take you higher than you've ever been before but you have to want it. The process may be painful but the fruit will be delicious. I want to encourage you to come into the newness of the spirit but you'll need the strength of God to get your through, not your own strength. Last week, my husband and I had to take his truck in because it was like riding Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. For whatever reason, the tires we received a couple months ago shredded and needed to be replaced...

Reforming Undesirable Behavior

You know that thing you do that you don't wanna do but you keep doing it because you can't stop doing it? These behaviors might include: lying, cheating, raging, gossiping, pornography, drinking, drugs, eating, throwing up, etc. Reforming these behaviors on your own can prove to be a little tricky. I'd say reforming undesirable behavior might even be impossible on your own. But there is still hope for us. With the love of God, the power of the Holy Spirit and a renewed mind, you can reform your behavior. Youth conference with lots of God encounters! An encounter with God is the easiest way to reform undesirable behavior because the encounter will fill you with the fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord renews our minds in a way that informs our bodies of what's beneficial to our spiritual health in the eyes of God. So, your mouth doesn't want to lie anymore; your tongue won't allow you to eat certain things; your eyes will be opened to the evil of pornogra...

A Mobile Church

I love the picture to the right, taken by a friend in the church. It's the perfect picture of God's light shining down on his church. The symbolism of it is perfect: the church is soaking up God's light and charging its people inside to do God's work. I don't know about you but I always feel refreshed and recharged after connecting with a body of believers. Our light gets "re-brightened" and we are energized to keep going. God wants us to take His light out to the people - His church (the light bearers) is not to be confined by four walls and our own preconceived notions. I think a lot of Christians are afraid to be " the light of the world " for fear of being judged or cast out socially. God wants us to hand over our fear of looking stupid and get desperate for him to change our lives. To rid ourselves of this fear, we have to open our hearts to what God desires and ask him to fill us with his light and wisdom in its place. When you open your...